Sunday 12 February 2012

What do you first notice?

So I was strolling around our beloved Eaton Center downtown Toronto when I came across this and snapped a shot....



So I'm guessing the first thing you notice is the prettyful clothes on display...but seriously...what’s wrong with this picture? Hmm...think real hard. Well I think it's a perfect display of not clothes, but how our society thinks. "Well let’s make these attractive looking, trendy-dressed mannequins stand on top of a giant pile of books" ... Translation: What's the need for knowledge when you’re hot?

So I know I could easily be stretching what this means (well I am…it’s not like the creative organizers of this set up were conspiring or something). It’s just a pretty display, no biggie… but it did make me think about society and its ideals.

Pretty sure we can’t deny the consumerism taking over…well, everything O_o. Companies trying to sell their products make use of anything that they can get their hands on. Especially anything that appeals to our emotions. But in the process of pointing out that looking beautiful will enhance your confidence, they conveniently forget to include that good looks can only stay with you for so long. Truth is, good looks fade, and you have these creepy old ladies dowsed in makeup and wearing the tightest push-up they can find to try and look like they’re young again. Yay a bunch of insecure aged men and women who aren't happy with their lives because, well…their not “young and beautiful” anymore. Thank you media, for making them feel worthless after the age of 40. What I think I am saying is that we idealize a lot of things in society and conveniently forget that little extra detail (that is the most important) and so what do you have? You have the masses focusing on what your presenting and not using their own brains to think about these little details themselves.

I know I sound pretty harsh…and you know what, society isn’t that bad! In fact it’s great sometimes. But right now I think I want to point my finger at the people doing the consuming and not those trying to distribute their spanks-that-will-suck-your-fat-in-for-you goodies. Manz be tryina make a living son. But I must include the fact that with so many people trying to "make a living", and using the same techniques, causes the first spin to societies downward spiral…then all you need is a bunch of stupid teenagers that become easily impressed with anything that looks like it can give them a sense of confidence. And bam what do you have? You have our future generations of saggy boobed try-to-hard-to-look-young woman....(I get scared).

So these people that try to find a sense of confidence through clothes have the whole idea of confidence so damn wrong. And the worst part is, they don’t even know they’re unconfident. You must be thinking… “What? How does someone not know they're unconfident?” Well I’ve seen these types. The people who need to wear the latest trends that their friends are wearing. “So? They just want to fit in, what’s wrong with that Rav?” And there’s nothing wrong with that, but I think a person should always question their own intentions. Why exactly do you want to be like your friends? I mean, besides the fact that they’re your friends and you probably think they’re awesome (hearts and sheit yeo). But could it be you want to be like them because maybe…possibly…you don’t want to be you? I know seems kind of farfetched, but the main idea I am trying to set out here is that external confidence can only take you so far. You can only buy so many new shirts and jeans before your wallet is empty. You can only wear so much makeup before it runs out. And don’t get me wrong; I am not saying that doing all of this (having nice clothes, and wearing makeup) means you’re unconfident. What I am saying is that you need to first have internal confidence before anything, because all the external confidence enhancers will just get boring, and the sense of confidence will never stay. I think once you have that internal confidence adding your own spin to your clothes and external shenanigans is kind of an artistic pursuit…and its fun! But bottom line… people, don’t get caught up in this consumerism and try to buy confidence it will never work.   

You know when I think about getting old, I get pretty damn scared. Imagine that… one day you’re going to look in the mirror and you’re going to have to try and look behind all that wrinkled skin and dark bags to try and remember how you were in your youth; alive, flexible, energized, mobile. Maybe the reason why getting old becomes so deterring is because, it reminds us of how fragile humans really are, and how close death is. (AHHHHH!…*runs in circles screaming*) But hey let’s look on the bright side and enjoy what we have! I think for now imma take it as it comes... But enjoying life…well that fills me up with hearts and sheit…Till next time… cheers!

~YEE YEE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment