Monday 16 January 2012

What exactly is Deja vu?


The part about the brain damage and blindness blew my mind. The man can still see but its the "processing" part that doesn't allow that connection to his conscious state of mind and thus he can technically "see" but not "perceive" WHATHAHECK! Just another amazing thing about the human brain I guess. 

 It reminded me of something I had learned in my Learning psychology class I took not to long ago. There was an experiment that was conducted on individuals with damage to their hippocampus. The hippocampus is an area in the brain that is responsible for consolidation of memory from short term to long term so it is desperately needed when learning new information. The subjects were asked to come into the lab each day and try to solve a memory puzzle. As predicted they had a lot of trouble doing this due to the fact that they didn't have properly functioning short term memory. 

Each day a subject asked what the task was, the laboratory leader would then explain the rules of the task and the subject would try to complete it. The subjects tried for about six days until finally in the matter of minutes a subject completed the task and remarked "Oh...well that was easier than I thought." But how? he had no short term memory! This is something called procedural memory. Everyday was a new day when the subjects came in to work on the task but what the researchers didn't know was that every time the subject worked on the same memory task the brain some how learned from each task until finally it could solve it...even with out its short term memory... (WTF!?) I don't know about you guys... but this gets me damn excited...  

.....I feel hearts and sheit coming outta me chest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment